Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:29 am

Merging of Easylist and Fanboy

View active topics

All times are UTC + 12 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:14 am  Reply with quote Report this post 
Site Admin

Merging of filters with Easylist
-==============================-

For the last few months we've been in discussions with Easylist for a potential merger to simplify the install process.

Why
-=-

As much as I've enjoyed rolling out my own subscription, supporting it costs plenty of time, and cash. Adblockplus guys are wanting to simplify the install process, so to avoid making a scene and have it benefit the entire Adblock community we'll merge the subscriptions. Things may've been different if we (Fanboy subscription) had more authors, but when you're getting many submission requests a day, thousands of reports also and only so much time to process and audit them its a never ending battle.

Filters used by Easylist and Fanboy weren't that much different between subscriptions. We have been going through comparisons of filters to see what best fits a merged list.

No doubt some people feel that I have abandoned them, I haven't. We're just trying to pull in more resources together, to reach a common goal. The fanboy list is open source (GPL and Creative Commons), you're free to fork it.

So what happens now?
--===============--

It will take time to complete the merger, but the Main Adblock list will be the priority..

Main list: merge filters

Tracking filter: Will be merged into Easy privacy after the main list is done

Annoyance Filter: will be kept, and supported

Ultimate/Complete: Will be kept and supported, with replacement of merged lists

Enhanced Tracking Filter: will be kept and supported, any generic fanboy tracking filters will be moved here.

Regional: Will supported separately for existing users for the time being. Open for anyone to take ownership of a regional list if people are keen to help out, else we'll redirect to Easylist supported supplemental lists.

Opera urlfilter/css: Seperately supported, converting from the Merged lists.

Forums: will remain open for the time being.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:53 pm  Reply with quote Report this post 
Site Admin

For the next few weeks we're going into 'maintenance mode' so only fixes will be added, or any emergency "must block this adserver asap or else.." ... (regional lists will still be taken care of, for the time being). New tracker requests aren't a priority during this transition.

We're mostly migrated over the main adblock filters with Easylist removed most of the obvious dubes, further cleanups still to be needed.. but its looks good.

https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/filters.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:10 am  Reply with quote Report this post 
Does this change anything with regards to the IE TPLs?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:17 am  Reply with quote Report this post 

Guest wrote:
Does this change anything with regards to the IE TPLs?
It probably doesn't, because the EasyList project also releases TPLs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:16 pm  Reply with quote Report this post 

fanboy wrote:
Forums: will remain open for the time being.
When the forums closes, how will we report false positives produced by the lists that are kept in support?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:34 pm  Reply with quote Report this post 

Is Opera Adblock 0.56 going to work?I am thinking about filter updates.
I don't know if Opera Adblock is using urlfilter or fanboy list.I can't use
ABP or Adblock for Opera because they hang Opera on start up.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:14 am  Reply with quote Report this post 

It is going to be OK.I've opened .oex file and found out that Opera
Adblock is using urlfilter.ini and css filter.Don't know about Tracking
list.If tracking list will be unavailable I'll use Ghostery.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:29 pm  Reply with quote Report this post 
Site Admin

hg server is currently down for maintenice (server has moved from san jose to los vegas).. will look at any commits as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:51 am  Reply with quote Report this post 
fanboy wrote:
For the next few weeks we're going into 'maintenance mode' so only fixes will be added, or any emergency "must block this adserver asap or else.." ... (regional lists will still be taken care of, for the time being). New tracker requests aren't a priority during this transition.

We're mostly migrated over the main adblock filters with Easylist removed most of the obvious dubes, further cleanups still to be needed.. but its looks good.

So will the homepage remove the old filters which are not going to be updated?
(very helpful )
Plus will the diff subscription lists like complete & ultimate skip what's present in other filters(so its mean & slim)

I mean say easy-fanboy list has most things ,complete has everything except what the former has & the ultimate add on whats missing in complete(if not please do so)

This will help As duplicate filters are not present :think:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:58 am  Reply with quote Report this post 
MrDumbass wrote:
fanboy wrote:

So will the homepage remove the old filters which are not going to be updated?
(very helpful )
Plus will the diff subscription lists like complete & ultimate skip what's present in other filters(so its mean & slim)

I mean say easy-fanboy list has most things ,complete has everything except what the former has & the ultimate add on whats missing in complete(if not please do so)

This will help As duplicate filters are not present :think:

+1

Also the Filers on
https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/

Seen to be not downloading properly
where as https://fanboy.co.nz seem to work fine !!
please Fix this as some filers are on secure & some on the other

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next